days under the Tuscan sky with pasta and wine under olive trees to the sound of the
courtyard fountain. Sound wonderful? Yes! But if you haven't won the lottery and
a move to Tuscany isn't in your future, you can bring that warm Tuscan feel to
your home (even if you live in Buffalo!). Here's how on a bargain budget
color and texture to your home with rich, earthy reds and oranges.
If red is too much for you, try a warm muted yellow or creamy stucco.
2. Copper pots and copper trimmed baskets can still be found at
thrift shops. Find dried flowers, artificial fruit and ivy to fill the
pots and baskets for a taste of an Italian vineyard.
3. Look for terracotta pots and lots of them. Fill them with
greenery (and a few artificial grapes) to create a Tuscan feel in your
room. Arrange them in groups of three or more!
4. Scavenge architectural features from salvage yards or
garage sales. Old iron gates, windows or bits of railing can create
rustic wall art.
5. Change your cabinet door fronts (if your landlord doesn't
mind!)to chicken wire! Not only is it decorative, it is also practical
6. Build a visual sense of having a grotto with tall
artificial plants and a wrought iron archway to separate a special,
intimate corner of the room. Check your local garden center for ideas!
7. Cover old picture frames with strips of leather cut from
thrift shop coats. Wind the strips around the frame and secure the ends
with a hot glue gun.
8. Mismatched ceramic and terracotta tiles can be arranged as
a group on the wall or table. They can be used as coasters or trivets.
Or they can be broken and used to make your own mosaic table top! Just
add grout and tile to an old thrift-shop table!
9. Remember the old wrought iron accessories of the 60s? They
are still available at thrift shops. They make wonderful additions to
your Tuscan room!
10. To create the feeling of a courtyard indoors, add a fountain!
A terracotta or stone-look fountain in the corner surrounded by plants
and a small wrought iron table is a wonderful place to have breakfast.
It's almost like being in Italy!
Have fun with your décor! Use your imagination to bring faraway
places to your own home! Hmmmm &.maybe I will do that Amazonian jungle
bedroom I've always wanted!